Cucumbers are used in every part of the world. They are tasty, refreshing and healthy. Did you know that cucumbers belong to the same family as zucchini, squash and watermelons?
This veggie is 96% water, and the green skin is packed with vitamin A. eat more cucumbers to get alkaline-forming minerals that prevent the development of diseases and bacterial infections
Cucumbers are an excellent source of vitamin A, C, potassium, phosphorus, folate, manganese, molybdenum, silica, sulfur, and a good source of vitamin B complex, sodium and calcium.
A cup of unpeeled cucumbers contains:
- 16 calories
- Zero protein, fat, fiber or sugar
- 17 mg vitamin K (22% RDI)
- 152 mg potassium (4% RDI)
- 8 mg manganese (4 percent DV)
- 6 mg magnesium (4% RDI)
- 3 mg vitamin C (4% RDI)
Caffeic acid prevents water retention. When applied topically, cucumbers soothe puffy and swollen eyes.
Here’s what Jillian Levy, CHHC, explained:
“Cucumbers also have some impressive benefits when it comes to fighting free radical damage and inflammation. They contain some powerful polyphenol compounds that can help naturally slow aging caused by oxidative stress.
After investigating the potential free radical-scavenging abilities of cucumbers, researchers from the Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences in Haryana, India, report that within cucumbers “the presence of flavonoids and tannins in their extract, as evidenced by preliminary phytochemical screening, suggests that these compounds might be responsible for free radical scavenging and analgesic effects … Regular consumption of natural antioxidants from vegetables, fruit, tea, and herbs may contribute to a shift in balance toward an ample antioxidant status.”
Cucumbers have great health benefits:
- Lower uric acid levels in joints and prevent inflammatory conditions such as gout, arthritis, and asthma.
- Cucumber juice is an excellent diuretic that flushes waste material through urine and dissolves kidney stones.
- The juice is packed with alkaline minerals that balance the pH value of blood and soothe gastric and duodenal ulcers.
- Cucumber juice normalizes blood pressure thanks to its minerals.
- Apply the juice on your skin to soothe sunburns.
- Cucumbers prevent and relieve water retention as they give your body electrolytes and hydrate cells.
- Silica in cucumbers rebuild connective tissue in bones, muscles, cartilage, ligaments and tendons.
- Cucumber juice regulates body temperature: it soothes fever and cools the body in summer.
- Place cucumber slices on your eyes to reduce puffiness (10 min)
- Vitamin C in cucumbers improves skin complexion, and aids in the treatment of eczema, psoriasis, acne and other skin problems.
Always buy organic cucumbers. If you aren’t sure about their origin, make sure you remove their skin. Keep your cucumbers in the fridge. Keep sliced cucumbers in air-tight containers.
Source: Healthy Food House