Cucumbers are used in every part of the world. They are tasty, refreshing and healthy. Did you know that cucumbers belong to the same family as zucchini, squash and watermelons?
This veggie is 96% water, and the green skin is packed with vitamin A. eat more cucumbers to get alkaline-forming minerals that prevent the development of diseases and bacterial infections
Cucumbers are an excellent source of vitamin A, C, potassium, phosphorus, folate, manganese, molybdenum, silica, sulfur, and a good source of vitamin B complex, sodium and calcium.
A cup of unpeeled cucumbers contains:
- 16 calories
- Zero protein, fat, fiber or sugar
- 17 mg vitamin K (22% RDI)
- 152 mg potassium (4% RDI)
- 8 mg manganese (4 percent DV)
- 6 mg magnesium (4% RDI)
- 3 mg vitamin C (4% RDI)
Caffeic acid prevents water retention. When applied topically, cucumbers soothe puffy and swollen eyes.
Cucumbers are great food if you’re into fighting free radicals and reducing inflammation. Polyphenol compounds in cucumbers slow down the aging process triggered by oxidative stress.
Researchers from the Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences in Haryana, India, investigated the free radical-fighting ability of cucumbers. They found that flavonoids and tannins in cucumber extract may give this veggie its ability to fight free radicals and act as analgesic. Consume cucumbers regularly to get antioxidants, and you can achieve the same by adding fruits, veggies, tea and herbs to your diet. Give your body a hand, and get the maximum antioxidant boost.
Cucumbers have great health benefits:
- Lower uric acid levels in joints and prevent inflammatory conditions such as gout, arthritis, and asthma.
- Cucumber juice is an excellent diuretic that flushes waste material through urine and dissolves kidney stones.
- The juice is packed with alkaline minerals that balance the pH value of blood and soothe gastric and duodenal ulcers.
- Cucumber juice normalizes blood pressure thanks to its minerals.
- Apply the juice on your skin to soothe sunburns.
- Cucumbers prevent and relieve water retention as they give your body electrolytes and hydrate cells.
- Silica in cucumbers rebuild connective tissue in bones, muscles, cartilage, ligaments and tendons.
- Cucumber juice regulates body temperature: it soothes fever and cools the body in summer.
- Place cucumber slices on your eyes to reduce puffiness (10 min)
- Vitamin C in cucumbers improves skin complexion, and aids in the treatment of eczema, psoriasis, acne and other skin problems.
This is a great reason for you to eat cucumbers more often. Cucumber salads are nice and refreshing, and you can also add fresh cucumbers to your smoothies. Let’s not forget that they provide an excellent effect when applied topically. Buy organic cucumbers from trusted sources, and enjoy their great healing power. Learn more about the food you eat, and you will be surprised by its power.
Always buy organic cucumbers. If you aren’t sure about their origin, make sure you remove their skin. Keep your cucumbers in the fridge. Keep sliced cucumbers in air-tight containers.